In a move that brings cryptocurrency closer to mainstream adoption, MasterCard has started looking for developers in the field. A recent ad posted on myworkdayjobs indicate that MasterCard plans to hire crypto developers.
MasterCard is one of the leading corporations in the global digital payments network. They have recently shown an interest in blockchain and cryptocurrency. The claims were confirmed when they posted multiple ads for developers in the field of blockchain and cryptocurrency.
Good News for the Community
This news has come amid the backdrop of increased scrutiny on cryptocurrencies. The US hearings on Facebook’s Libra and a report by an Indian Committee had negative things to say about the matter. With many governments banning the technology, this news is a welcome respite for the crypto community. The leaders in the community believe a lack of understanding of the technology has led to widespread misconceptions. With MasterCard looking to get on the crypto bandwagon, things may be looking up for crypto.
MasterCard and Libra
MasterCard is a partner with Facebook’s Calibra Association that administers the Libra cryptocurrency. This is not their first foray into the technology. However, with the possibility that the Libra will never take off, the company seems to be preparing to go solo.
According to a report by Cointelegraph, the recent postings on the job site included –
Excerpt from the Listing
Job Title: Director, Product Management – Crypto Currency/ Wallets
Location: San Francisco, USA
Do you have the courage to look into the eyes of disruptive forces without fear, and maneuver them to your advantage? Do you have the desire to work at the cutting-edge intersection of payments and crypto-currencies? Do you have the ambition to build something which you can narrate to your grandchildren? If yes, then this opportunity is made for you.
The Director, Cryptocoin/Wallet Product Management will use his / her payment and crypto-currency expertise in identifying new opportunities, and work with a cross-functional team comprising of Franchise, Compliance, Regulation, Products, Labs, Regions and Technology to develop new products and solutions. He / She will be a “go-to” person for Crypto currency wallets and crypto-currencies for education, thought leadership, and product roadmap knowledge.
- Responsible for identifying innovative solution concepts that have strategic fit and value to Mastercard’s customers and partners
- Lead the ideation, definition, design, and development of innovative crypto currency solutions including wallet solutions
- Drive innovation all the way from prototyping, piloting, and market validation
- Work with cross-functional teams involving product, technology, and regional teams to define and deliver product roadmap
- Identify external solutions / companies that could help accelerate the development of the solutions
- Establish shared vision across the company by influencing and building consensus among the various stakeholders
- Evaluate the business value of solution concepts for Mastercard and its customers
- Monitor crypto-currency ecosystem trends, technological developments, threats, and risk management strategies, and implement appropriate solutions.
- Stay informed of the overall market landscape, including competitors and potential partners
- Strive to develop and safeguard Mastercard IP portfolio by filing patent applications
MasterCard to hire crypto developers and interested parties should send in their papers!